I’ve closed comments on this post, since the voting deadline has passed. You can see how the votes went in this post with the top ten. Thanks to all of you who voted!
Happy New Year!
Like champagne, Auld Land Syne, and the Tournament of Roses Parade, it’s become a New Year’s tradition on this blog to pick my best images from the past year, and once again I’m inviting you to help me make these difficult choices. I’ve posted 46 of my best photographs from 2015 below, in chronological order. After you look through these, please post a comment listing your ten favorites.
You don’t have to list your ten favorites in any order, or even name them – just numbers will do. (The numbers are in the captions underneath the photographs. Also, you can click on the images to see them larger.) Once the votes are in I’ll post the top ten on this blog, and submit the final group to Jim Goldstein’s blog project, where he’ll be showcasing the best images of the year from over 300 photographers. The voting deadline is this Sunday, January 3rd, at midnight Pacific time.
As always, I reserve the right to override the votes if one of my favorites gets panned. But I’ve rarely had to exercise this power because my readers have excellent taste. 🙂
Thanks for your input — I appreciate your help!
— Michael Frye
1. Blue oaks and misty ridges, Sierra Nevada foothills, Mariposa County, CA, USA
2. Ross’s geese taking flight in the fog, San Joaquin Valley, CA, USA
3. Sunrise above a fog layer, Sierra Nevada foothills, Mariposa County, CA, USA
4. Foothill ridges rising above the fog with southern Sierra Nevada peaks in the distance, Mariposa County, CA, USA
5. Ross’s geese taking flight at sunset, San Joaquin Valley, CA, USA
6. Moon rising above Half Dome from Tunnel View, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
7. Upper Yosemite Fall illuminated by the rising moon, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
8. Dogwood along the Merced River, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
9. Trees and mist from Tunnel View, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
10. Sand dune, Mesquite Flat dunes, Death Valley NP, CA, USA
11. Manly Beacon at night with star trails, Death Valley NP, CA, USA
12. Trona Pinnacles and the Milky Way, Trona Pinnacles National Natural Landmark, CA, USA
13. Sand dune and the Milky Way at night, Death Valley NP, CA, USA
14. Dogwoods, mist, and ponderosa pines, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
15. Pines, sunbeams, and mist, Cook’s Meadow, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
16. Sunbeams in a redwood forest along the Northern California coast
17. Sea stacks at sunset , Redwood NP, CA, USA
18. Sunrise, Mono Lake, CA, USA
19. Sunset over tufa formations at Mono Lake, CA, USA
20. Sunrise at South Tufa, Mono Lake, CA, USA
21. Lightning over the San Joaquin Valley from the Sierra Nevada foothills, California, USA
22. Tufa and stars (with Perseus and the Pleiades), Mono Lake, CA, USA
23. Tufa and Milky Way, Mono Lake, CA, USA
24. Green light, Wheaton and Hollis Hotel, Bodie State Historic Park, CA, USA
25. 1927 Dodge Graham with gas pumps at night, Bodie State Historic Park, CA, USA
26. Wagon wheel behind the Dechambeau Hotel, Bodie State Historic Park, CA, USA
27. Lunar eclipse sequence with light-painted Joshua trees, September 27th, 2015, Joshua Tree NP, CA, USA
28. Aspens and reflections, Uncompahgre NF, CO, USA
29. Aspen trunks near Telluride, CO, USA
30. Sunbeams, San Juan Mountains, CO, USA
31. Sunlight on aspens, Umcompahgre NF, CO, USA
32. Autumn sunrise over the Sneffels Range from the Dallas Divide, CO, USA
33. Aspens along a creek in the eastern Sierra Nevada, CA, USA
34. Rainbow over Black Point, Mono Lake, CA, USA
35. Aspens reflected in a beaver pond, Inyo NF, CA, USA
36. Fog and clouds over Mono Lake with the White Mountains in the distance, CA, USA
37. Clearing storm by moonlight from Tunnel View, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
38. El Capitan by moonlight, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
39. Reflections along the Merced River, winter, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
40. Ross’s geese taking flight at sunrise, San Joaquin Valley, CA, USA
41. Ross’s geese lifting off from a San Joaquin Valley marsh, CA, USA
42. Half Dome, North Dome, and the Merced River by moonlight, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
43. Gates of the Valley by moonlight, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
44. Yosemite Valley lit by the setting moon, with Jupiter above, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
45. Star trails over Yosemite Valley from Tunnel View, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
46. Morning light, Gates of the Valley, Yosemite NP, CA, USA
Related Posts: My Top Photographs of 2014; 2013: My Top Ten Images
Did you like this article? Click here to subscribe to this blog and get every new post delivered right to your inbox!
Michael Frye is a professional photographer specializing in landscapes and nature. He is the author or principal photographer of The Photographer’s Guide to Yosemite, Yosemite Meditations, Yosemite Meditations for Women, Yosemite Meditations for Adventurers, and Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and the Great Masters. He has also written three eBooks: Light & Land: Landscapes in the Digital Darkroom, Exposure for Outdoor Photography, and Landscapes in Lightroom: The Essential Step-by-Step Guide. Michael has written numerous magazine articles on the art and technique of photography, and his images have been published in over thirty countries around the world. Michael has lived either in or near Yosemite National Park since 1983, currently residing just outside the park in Mariposa, California.